Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Florence Broadhurst

Today is the first day for "Wild Card Wednesday" and I wanted to share a book that I am currently reading called Florence Broadhurst: Her Secret and Extraordinary Lives. I got the book at Anthropologie a little while ago. I just started reading it a few days ago, and I'm already half way through and can't put it down. Florence Broadhurst is a very eccentric woman who grew up in the 20s. She never let the art world out of her sight no matter where she went.  She is known for her brightly colored retro wall papers and her very extravagant personality.

There is a huge mystery behind the death of Florence, which was a murder in 1977, and it's one of the reasons why I can't put it down because  I've got to know exactly what happened. She was still living a full life at 78 years old, and from the story thus far,  I don't think she was finished creating.   Also, Florence's stream of events are all so interesting. Her career path changes so many times, along with the name she gives herself each time with some other secret events.  The best part is that everywhere she goes, and everything she does is based off of her purely, raw talent. I would tell you the whole story so far, but of course  I wouldn't want to spoil it. This book is such a great read and I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn something new, or just to get to know another amazing artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment